- Prime Minister, Hon. Scott Morrison MP
- Deputy Prime Minister, Hon. Michael McCormack MP
- Minister of the Environment, Hon. Melissa Price MP
- Energy Minister, Hon. Angus Taylor MP
- Leader of the Opposition, Hon. Bill Shorten MP
- Deputy Leader of the Opposition, Hon. Tanya Plibersek
- Shadow Minister for Climate Change and Energy, Hon. Mark Butler MP
- Shadow Minister for Environment and Water, Hon. Tony Burke MP
- Leader of the Greens, Hon. Richard Di Natale MP
I am adding my voice to the tens of thousands of Australians who switched off for Earth Hour 2019 for the future of our planet. I proudly stand as part of a community that wants to #Connect2Earth and see stronger action on climate change.
Business as usual is not enough. Australia committed to reducing emissions by at least 26% on 2005 levels by 2030 at the Paris Agreement. But based on current government reports* Australia will fail to meet its Paris Agreement targets. Australia’s emissions have been rising for the past four years, and we will reduce emissions by only 7% by 2030. These targets are not adequate to limit global warming to 2°C, let alone 1.5°C.
Climate change is one of the biggest threats to Australia’s biodiversity. If we do nothing, we could lose at least half of our plants and animals to the impacts of climate change. A future for our country without the Great Barrier Reef, or koalas, is unimaginable and inexcusable.
We need to accelerate Australia’s efforts to limit the dangerous impact of climate change and transition to a zero-carbon economy. I intend to be part of the solution to ensure that our precious natural resources are used sustainably, and our unique wildlife and landscapes are protected for future generations.
I am writing to urge you to use your influence to do more to meet the challenges of climate change and ensure Australia not only meets, but exceeds its commitment to the Paris Agreement.
The future of my family and community is in your hands. Don't let me down.
*Department of Environment and Energy reports: Australia’s Emissions Projections 2018 and National Greenhouse Accounts December 2018